Tuesday 28 February 2012

A Prayer from the Desert (for Lent) - composed by a Guild supporter called Anne

(c) Luca Galuzzi - www.galuzzi.it
(creative commons licence - source: Wikimedia Commons)
Lord Jesus Christ, whose will all things obey: pardon what I have done and grant that I, a sinner, may sin no more.

Lord, I believe that though I do not deserve it, you can cleanse me from all my sins.

Lord, I know that man looks upon the face, but you see the heart.

Send your Spirit into my inmost being,
to take possession of my soul and body.
Without you I cannot be saved;
with you to protect me, I long for your salvation.
And now I ask you for your salvation.
And now I ask you for wisdom.
Deign of 
your great goodness to help and defend me.
Guide my heart, almighty God,
that I may remember your presence day and night.

Blessed be God our Father, who protects his children and does not spurn their prayers. Let us all humbly pray to him:

– Lord, give us light to see by.

We thank you, Lord, for sending us your only Son to enlighten us:
may his light fill us all day long.

– Lord, give us light to see by.

Lord, send your wisdom to lead us through the day:
let us walk in the purity of a new life.

– Lord, give us light to see by.

Give us the strength to endure adversity for your sake:
with courage let us serve you unceasingly.

– Lord, give us light to see by.

Guide our thoughts, our feelings and our actions today,
so that we may serve you and follow you.

– Lord, give us light to see by.

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us,
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

Lord God, true Light and Creator of light,
grant that faithfully pondering on all that is holy,
we may ever live in the splendour of your presence.
We make our prayer through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God for ever and ever.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...